about back on my feet
Operating in 12 major cities coast-to-coast, Back on My Feet uses running and community to motivate and support individuals every step of the way from homelessness to independence. [Their] success is measured not only by the health impact of miles run, but also by how many individuals obtain education, employment and housing.
Back on My Feet recruits members (individuals experiencing homelessness) at homeless and residential facilities around the country and begins with a commitment to run three days a week in the early morning. After 30 days in the program, members with 90% attendance earn the opportunity to move into the second phase of the program called Next Steps, which provides educational support, job training programs, employment partnership referrals and housing resources. Almost 80% of individuals who start the program move into Next Steps.
about penn north
Penn North offers an integrated, community-based addiction treatment and wellness program. Acupuncture, outpatient counseling, job readiness and training, and a variety of healing modalities are available to assist individuals seeking to recover their lives by better understanding their relationships with addictive substances.
Many clients are referred directly from prison or an inpatient facility, and others are experiencing homelessness and coming in off the street. To provide a continuum of services and ensure that clients are supported through treatment, Penn North provides a supportive housing program for qualified adults.
Penn North serves both men and women. There are eight community homes off campus, currently with 158 beds, sleeping 60% male and 40% female. Residents can stay for as long as they need; generally, 18-24 months.
get involved: team penn north
Whether you're a regular runner or haven't run a day in your life, be a part of this growing community alongside other CITY CHURCH members! Volunteers meet in the early morning, 5:30AM, in Penn North and run between one and four miles with the members. Back on My Feet sees different physical abilities among members so all runners, joggers, and walkers can become a part of this growing community. They run every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, but the desired volunteer commitment is once a week. Fallen in love with this team? Volunteer as often as you'd like!
Interested? Email Kelsey at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Saturday September 16th – Penn North Recovery Fest Tabling 12-6pm. Help is needed with 1.5 hour shifts! E-mail Marybeth (Program Director).
- Wednesday, September 20th – New Volunteer Orientation at Penn North Library. REGISTER HERE.
- Monday, September 25th -New Member Orientation at 5:30AM. Come and meet your teammates!
- Wednesday, September 27th - Gear Drop at 5:30AM . Come meet your teammates!
- Friday, September 29th – Team Penn North Launch! First Circle and Miracle Mile at 5:30AM. You don't want to miss this. They are getting t-shirts printed for everyone who comes out!
- Saturday, September 30th – Color Run Volunteer Opportunity! Volunteer at the happiest 5K on the planet as a color thrower, water stop volunteer or registration volunteer. Click HERE for more information.